Monday, October 29, 2012

THE BALM is...the bomb :) RAVE REVIEW.

Okay, so I just received my "The Balm: products in the mail today - super fast shipping from Amazon (doesn't hurt to be an amazon prime member ;)). SO I've got my sweet tea and my new cosmetics - a good filler for a missing boyfriend :). SO while my baby's entertained watching "Tangled" for the millionth time...I'll go ahead and share my thoughts!! **Hand swatches are intended for back of hand only, not knuckles fingers, wrist, etc.

1) Balm Shelter Tinted Moisturizer with SPF 18 2.15 FL OZ.
Hand swatches before applying tinted moisturizer (since I'm already made up today!) --
And Hand swatch AFTER applying tinted moisturizer --
Things I found:
-- moisturizer goes on very smooth.
-- no orange streaks
-- didn't have to rub in very much...like, barely :)
-- has a nice smell to it, almost like a good sunscreen but NOT like sunscreen.
-- eliminated minor imperfections
-- evens out my skintone
-- nothing horrible!

I love it! I'm so glad I got the Light shade, although at first this made me nervous because they only have THREE shades! Light, Light/Medium, & Medium as far as I'm aware. It gives minimal coverage, which is something I've been looking for. It also minimizes all the tiny imperfections and evens out my skin tone while still letting the features I love about myself shine through. LIKE MY FRECKLES. God, when I was thirteen I remember soaking my face in lemon juice every night from hatred of my freckles. Now, I can't get enough. Funny how that works! 

I also think it's HILARIOUS when people post reviews that sound so surprised like, "Oh my God, I ordered this and it didn't cover up, like, any of my freckles or all the zits all over my forehead or anything!". In case you are not properly informed, this is a TINTED....MOISTURIZER. So, this is not a foundation by any means. It's TINTED with some color, and is a MOISTURIZER, which hydrates that pretty little face you see in the mirror everyday. Tinted moisturizers are not for everyone, mostly for those who want very minimal coverage and are looking more for hydrating their skin while evening our their complexion versus covering up all their imperfections, blemishes, and making everything ONE color. 


History Note: I actually used to wear foundation. My boyfriend (like all the great ones are supposed to!) kept telling me I looked beautiful without it and he didn't see why I always wore it. I used to wear Bare Minerals matte foundation in Light and used to adore it! Well, it turned out to be one of those scenarios where I was the ONLY one who thought it looked good. Well, It turned out my foundation had an orangey appearance. It actually took me another girl's opinion to make me realize this really didn't work for me...a girl from work came up and told me my foundation didn't look even, like I had placed too much around my eyes and in certain spots. I looked in the mirror and realized she was right....I normally placed moisturizer separately and then powder foundation over top ..turns out that's not the best idea because if I applied any moisturizer too thick in one area, it attracted more of the powder resulting in that orangey appearance! Thus, the hunt for a liquid moisturizing makeup began....to no avail. And then I heard about the BB creams...hello world! This tinted moisturizer by The Balm is a lot like a BB cream. Which is totally what I was looking for, and put the two-step moisturizer then makeup, into one step. This cream isn't "too much" either so I can stay natural while evening out my complexion all day. 

So, I will try this on my face tomorrow and update cheek swatches to this same post, I just wanted to share my immediate excitement!


2) Bahama Mama Bronzer 7.08 g

 

I YouTube'd (of course) how to apply bronzer and found one video that did a great job. Most first time "Bronzers" tend to place their bronzer all over their face, making themselves look muddy or dirty! Yikes! So the best rule to go by with bronzer is RULE THREE. Trace a three on your face. Start at the middle of your hairline, sweep across your hairline to your temple and then brush underneath the cheekbone. A good tip to make sure you're under your cheekbone is to make a fishy face while doing so! After going under the cheekbone -- make the last hump of the three along your jawline. 


MY face is NOT proportionate, as I'm sure yours might not be either haha. So, my three is all jacked up. But, you get the idea. Also, excuse the picture, I'm just getting off work and the lighting is horrible on my features. Just providing a picture for reference! I know you probably can't tell, but I've already applied the bronzer in these places :) (and the blush -- see below)

3. Hot Mama Shadow/Blush 7.08g



I placed this on the apples of my cheeks in the picture above of my face, and love the warm glow it gives! I have almost fair skin, but the lighting sure makes me look GINGERY :) oh well. At least my eyebrows look awesome!!!! (BTW I know they look a little flat, I'm going with my natural eyebrow shape which has always been like that -- when they grow out more, then I can shape them how I want.) I have a feeling I'll get to experiment with this blush a little more tomorrow morning.


4)  Ecotools Domed Bronzer Brush



I purchased this from amazon after reading its rave reviews - and think it's great after having used it to apply my bronzer and my blush. The bristles are so soft! I think I read they're made of goat hair? Haha who knew goats were so soft! I've petted goats before at petting zoos and always thought they were coated with coarse hair...but it could be the way it sits on their skin? Maybe they use well taken care of goats? Organic goats! Who knew? Don't quote me on that ;P. As for this brush....I don't use it for the tinted moisturizer in case you're wondering - I believe that should be massaged on with clean fingertips. I know makeup brushes are all the rage when it comes to liquid foundation now - which I don't bother with. 



I'm SO happy I purchased these instead of the NARS Laguna/Orgasm Duo. I hated they were so expensive! So maybe one day I can fit them into my budget because I have no doubt they are great products and I would still love to try them. But for now, I am more than pleased with The Balm! The Balm is the bomb for sure, okay? LOVE LOVE LOVE already. More reviews to come on The Balm. Have YOU tried The Balm cosmetics? Let me know hoe your experience with this company has gone, or if you have any must-try's or stay-away-from's haha. Thanks for reading!

-CW


Editor's Note: I am in no way compensated for my RAVES for The Balm company or any of it's suppliers/products. All information included in this post is my personal opinion. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment